Summary: Reporting on building energy performance allows governments to understand the current energy efficiency status of the existing building stock. This sets a baseline for measuring progress and reveals opportunities and priorities.
Implementation: Disclose emissions and energy use from municipal buildings.
Considerations for Use: Building Management Systems (BMS) can automate collection of this data at the building scale and require minimal maintenance once installed.
- Policy Levers: The mechanism municipalities can use to actualize the intervention. These policy levers will likely be used in combination with each other.
Lead by ExampleGovernments have ownership and jurisdiction over a range of assets (e.g. buildings and streets) and also serve as a direct employer, and contractor. This allows them to promote heat risk reduction and preparedness solutions and demonstrate their impact through leading by example with proactive interventions to make their assets, employment opportunities, and contracts heat-resilient.
- Trigger Points: Opportunities for municipalities to implement risk reduction and preparedness interventions based on the policy lever, building on the United Nations Environment Programme triggers used in the Beating the Heat handbook (2021).
No-regrets actions (low cost/low effort but substantial benefit)Interventions that are relatively low-cost and low effort (in terms of requisite dependencies) but have substantial environmental and/or social benefits.
- Intervention Type:
Buildings and Built Form
Buildings, Public Works
- Target Beneficiaries:
- Phase of Impact:
Risk reduction and mitigation
Energy use by area, building, and use
- Tokyo Government (UNEP, Pg 130).
- Intervention Scale:
- Authority and Governance:
City government, State/provincial government
- Implementation Timeline:
Medium-term (3-9 Years)
- Implementation Stakeholders:
- Funding Sources:
- Capacity to Act:
- Public Good:
- GHG Reduction:
- Co-benefits (Climate/Environmental):
Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Co-benefits (Social):