Summary: Green building practices and energy efficiency standards improve building performance that reduce solar gains, energy consumption, and urban heat islands.
Implementation: Establish voluntary green building or energy efficiency performance standards, which establish a baseline that can be leveraged through more stringent mandates or public pressure at a later time.
Considerations for Use: Resources associated with ratings and certifications can provide upgrade recommendations that are applicable to all buildings not only participating buildings.
- Policy Levers: The mechanism municipalities can use to actualize the intervention. These policy levers will likely be used in combination with each other.
CommitmentGovernments set ambitious goals or targets to guide prioritization and investment.
- Trigger Points: Opportunities for municipalities to implement risk reduction and preparedness interventions based on the policy lever, building on the United Nations Environment Programme triggers used in the Beating the Heat handbook (2021).
Preparatory measures (actions to establish authority to act)Actions to establish/ ensure the authority to act when appropriate trigger-points occur.
- Intervention Type:
Buildings and Built Form
- Target Beneficiaries:
Property owners, Residents
- Phase of Impact:
Risk reduction and mitigation
Number and scores or levels of certification for buildings that receive ratings
- LEED (US) (UNEP Pg 129)
- NABERS (Australia (UNEP Pg 129)
- EU's Energy Performance of Buildings Directive (UNEP Pg 129)
- Intervention Scale:
City, Nation, Region, State/Province
- Authority and Governance:
City government, National government, State/provincial government
- Implementation Timeline:
Medium-term (3-9 Years)
- Implementation Stakeholders:
City government, Private developers
- Funding Sources:
private investment, Public investment
- Capacity to Act:
- Public Good:
- GHG Reduction:
- Co-benefits (Climate/Environmental):
Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Co-benefits (Social):
Increase property values, Save on utilities