Resolution citing heat as a priority
Summary: Citing heat as a priority can raise awareness and increase political pressure to reduce the risk of extreme heat. This declaration can be an important prepatory step to motivate the declaring government to set priorities and outline how they will address heat issues.
Implementation: Pass a resolution that acknolwedges extreme heat as well as additional climate impacts as a priority for the City to address.
Considerations for Use: Look at existing climate emergency resolutions as a template. Incorporate a climate justice perspective and center vulnerable populations in the resolution. Public dashboards on risk reduction and preparedness progress can create transparency and broader awareness of ongoing efforts.
- Policy Levers: The mechanism municipalities can use to actualize the intervention. These policy levers will likely be used in combination with each other.
CommitmentGovernments set ambitious goals or targets to guide prioritization and investment.
- Trigger Points: Opportunities for municipalities to implement risk reduction and preparedness interventions based on the policy lever, building on the United Nations Environment Programme triggers used in the Beating the Heat handbook (2021).
Preparatory measures (actions to establish authority to act)Actions to establish/ ensure the authority to act when appropriate trigger-points occur.
- Intervention Type:
- Target Beneficiaries:
Heat-vulnerable communities, Residents
- Phase of Impact:
Risk reduction and mitigation
Advancement toward heat risk reduction and preparedness (capital allocated to projects, plans adopted), projects initiated
- Austin City Council Heat Island Mitigation Resolution (EPA Database)
- Annapolis, MD Energy Efficiency Task Force Resolution
- Intervention Scale:
- Authority and Governance:
- Implementation Timeline:
Short-term (1-2 Years)
- Implementation Stakeholders:
- Funding Sources:
- Capacity to Act:
High, Low, Medium
- Public Good:
- GHG Reduction:
- Co-benefits (Climate/Environmental):
- Co-benefits (Social):