Summary: Installing solar panel systems on rooftops provide the dual benefits of providing renewable energy as well as direct cooling to buildings. The energy produced by solar energy can help offset energy costs for air conditioning.
Implementation: Offer energy rebates for installation of solar panels.
Considerations for Use: Solar panels can be applied in a diversity of climates and contexts with low maintenance costs. Upfront capital costs to buy and install solar panels is typically prohibitive or a deterrent for lower-income households.
- Policy Levers: The mechanism municipalities can use to actualize the intervention. These policy levers will likely be used in combination with each other.
IncentiveFinancial and non-financial incentives to encourage stakeholders to implement heat risk reduction and preparedness solutions, including rebates, tax credits, expedited permitting, development/zoning bonuses, and more.
- Trigger Points: Opportunities for municipalities to implement risk reduction and preparedness interventions based on the policy lever, building on the United Nations Environment Programme triggers used in the Beating the Heat handbook (2021).
No-regrets actions (low cost/low effort but substantial benefit)Interventions that are relatively low-cost and low effort (in terms of requisite dependencies) but have substantial environmental and/or social benefits.
- Intervention Type:
Buildings and Built Form
Buildings, Informal Settlements, Public Works,
- Target Beneficiaries:
Residents; Property owners
- Phase of Impact:
Risk reduction and mitigation
Amount of energy produced by solar energy
- Intervention Scale:
- Authority and Governance:
National government; State government; City government
- Implementation Timeline:
Medium-term (3-9 Years)
- Implementation Stakeholders:
- Funding Sources:
Private investment; Public investment
- Capacity to Act:
- Public Good:
- GHG Reduction:
- Co-benefits (Climate/Environmental):
Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Co-benefits (Social):
Save on utilities; Create jobs