Training and upskilling programs
Summary: Installing cooling infrastructure requires a skilled workforce to install and maintain it. Heat risk reduction and preparedness interventions can create new jobs and career pathways such as cool roofs, green roofs, and solar panel installation. Workforce development programs can be used to ensure that a trained workforce is in place to implement as interventions are scaled.
Implementation: Establish training programs to provide training and as apppropriate, certification in trades to support implementation of interventions.
Considerations for Use: Trainings create opportunities for partnership with community-based organizations, education institutions, and private sector employers. Workforce development programs can be piloted and scaled with the growth of the corresponding intervention. Programs can also be targeted to particular residential demographics.
- Policy Levers: The mechanism municipalities can use to actualize the intervention. These policy levers will likely be used in combination with each other.
- Trigger Points: Opportunities for municipalities to implement risk reduction and preparedness interventions based on the policy lever, building on the United Nations Environment Programme triggers used in the Beating the Heat handbook (2021).
City planning processesIncludes city initiatives such as the development of climate action plan, pathway to zero-energy, master plan, transit plan, energy mapping etc.
- Intervention Type:
Economic Development, Informal Settlements
- Target Beneficiaries:
Heat-vulnerable communities, Residents
- Phase of Impact:
Risk reduction and mitigation
Number of people trained in each skill or occupation
- CUNY/NYC Building Operator Trainer
- Intervention Scale:
- Authority and Governance:
- Implementation Timeline:
Short-term (1-2 Years)
- Implementation Stakeholders:
- Funding Sources:
- Capacity to Act:
High, Low, Medium
- Public Good:
- GHG Reduction:
- Co-benefits (Climate/Environmental):
- Co-benefits (Social):
Build communtiy capacity, Create jobs