Waste heat reduction
Summary: Waste heat contributes to the urban heat island effect and has been linked to overall warming. Heat pumps and heat recovery chillers can move heat to different locations to be applied to other uses instead of being vented directly onto the street.
Implementation: Offer incentives to property owners and industries to transition to systems that recycle, recover, and reuse waste heat through heat pumps and recovery chillers.
Considerations for Use: Waste heat reduction can happen through many of the solutions in this toolkit like district cooling, weatherization, mechanical cooling, among others.
- Policy Levers: The mechanism municipalities can use to actualize the intervention. These policy levers will likely be used in combination with each other.
IncentiveFinancial and non-financial incentives to encourage stakeholders to implement heat risk reduction and preparedness solutions, including rebates, tax credits, expedited permitting, development/zoning bonuses, and more.
- Trigger Points: Opportunities for municipalities to implement risk reduction and preparedness interventions based on the policy lever, building on the United Nations Environment Programme triggers used in the Beating the Heat handbook (2021).
City planning processesIncludes city initiatives such as the development of climate action plan, pathway to zero-energy, master plan, transit plan, energy mapping etc.
- Intervention Type:
Buildings and Built Form
Buildings, Public Works
- Target Beneficiaries:
Property owners, Residents
- Phase of Impact:
Risk reduction and mitigation
- California Waste Heat & Carbon Emissions Reduction Act
- Intervention Scale:
- Authority and Governance:
City government, State/provincial government
- Implementation Timeline:
Long-term (10+ Years)
- Implementation Stakeholders:
City government, Industry
- Funding Sources:
private investment, Public investment
- Capacity to Act:
- Public Good:
- GHG Reduction:
- Co-benefits (Climate/Environmental):
Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Co-benefits (Social):